Town Allocates Funds to Leisure/Library Expansion
October 4, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WHITCHURCH-STOUFFVILLE, ON – The Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville (WS) has allocated money from the Association of Municipalities Ontario’s (AMO) federal Gas Tax Fund to the WS Leisure Centre and Library Expansion project.
With support from the Gas Tax Fund, the WS Leisure Centre and Library Expansion will add over 42,000 square feet to the Memorial Park complex and will include:
- An expanded library, approximately 16,000 sq. ft. and will include an atrium area in the middle of it to allow for access to an outside venue for reading and relaxation;
- a new home for the Latcham Gallery which will comprise 3,850 sq. ft. in the area that now occupies the current fitness space and aerobic studio;
- a new 7,800 sq. ft. gymnasium which will enhance the drop-in programs, daytime programs, leagues and rental opportunities;
- a new fitness studio, approximately 5,800 sq. ft., with new dedicated change rooms for fitness users; and
- a new 2,370 sq. ft. aerobic studio to be adjacent to the fitness area.
The total project cost is $16 million with approximately $1.3 million allocated from the federal Gas Tax Fund.
“The federal Gas Tax Funding from AMO has provided the Town with significant financial aid for our Leisure Centre and Library Expansion project,” said Brian Parrott, Director of Finance/Treasurer for the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville. “We are very appreciative of the
support on this project as it is helping to create a place for Whitchurch-Stouffville residents to lead more active, healthier lifestyles.”
Progress on the expansion is coming along quickly this fall, with the completion date in line for early 2018.
The federal Gas Tax Fund is a permanent source of funding for municipal infrastructure. It is predictable, long-term and stable, and is helping Ontario’s municipal governments address a massive, province-wide infrastructure deficit while improving environmental sustainability and creating jobs and economic growth.
You can learn more about the Gas Tax Fund in Ontario by visiting www.gastaxatwork.ca or @GasTaxinOntario on Twitter.
About the Association of Municipalities Ontario
AMO is a non-profit organization representing almost all of Ontario’s 444 municipal governments. AMO supports and enhances strong and effective municipal government in Ontario and promotes the value of municipal government as a vital and essential component of Ontario and Canada’s political system.
About the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
The Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville is one of the jewels of the GTA, located just north of Toronto on Highway 404. We are a community rich in heritage and character and we are committed to offering our residents and businesses ‘Country Close to the City’.
Glenn Jackson | Corporate Communications
Phone: 905-640-1910 or 1-855-642 8697 Ext. 2451 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Corporate Communications Specialist | Office of the CAO
Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
111 Sandiford Dr., Stouffville ON | L4A 0Z8