About Councillor Maurice Smith
Maurice Smith has been a resident of York Region for over 40 years and has lived within Ward Two since 2004. He and Jane have been married for more than 50 years.
They currently live in the Ballantrae Golf and Country Club. Maurice and Jane are the proud parents of four adult children and have ten grandchildren.
Maurice worked for many years in the financial management area of a major Canadian packaging company. He completed his 27 year career with this firm in 1998 when he held the position of Director, Risk Management and Global Real Estate.
In 1998 he opened his own business management consulting firm specializing in corporate real estate management. He wound up his consulting practise in 2014 to act as a full time elected official.
During his business career he travelled globally to negotiate major purchase, sale and merger contracts on behalf of his employer and clients.
He served for a number of years as Director of Waterman Insurance Corporation located in Bridgetown, Barbados W.I.
Volunteer and Community Involvement
- Stouffville Library Board of Trustees since 2006
- Chairman Library Board of Trustees for 3 Years
- Chairman Not-For-Profit Housing Complex , Markham for 4 Years
- Past President – Deputy Governor – Canadian Kinsmen Club
- Organizing Committee – Whitchurch- Stouffville Christmas Dinner
- President Condo Board Richmond Hill
- Kinsmen Committee Fund Raiser for CF Research
- History Writer – Home On The Green Magazine
- Life Member – Kinsmen Clubs of Canada
- Province of Ontario Volunteer Service Award