Reflections on 2017
As 2017 comes to a close we reflect back on the year and all that it has presented. Some of us have overcome personal challenges while others were blessed by special events and anniversaries.
It has been a privilege to have been involved directly with so many people in this community of Whitchurch-Stouffville. During this time I have enjoyed meeting and working with the executives of MLRA, Camelot Residents Association and BGCC residents. Thank you for your continued support.
During the year quite a number of items were worthy of recording.
- Of course, this was the 150th birthday of our great country and this was highlighted at many wonderful events during the year and particularly throughout the July 1st long weekend.
- In the early Spring we opened our brand new Coultice Park on the shores of Musselman’s Lake. More than a dozen members of the Coultice family traveled from across Ontario to be in attendance on this special occasion.
- Our Regional authorities were finally convinced to enact traffic calming measures on Aurora Road.
- The long-awaited plaza at the corner of Aurora Road and Highway 48 is now under construction. The final Building Permit was issued by the town in early December.
- A field-house was constructed in Ballantrae Park. This facility will serve the needs of all those who participate in sporting events, soccer, tennis, baseball, and fitness in this park. Our initial plan is for a ribbon-cutting and official opening in conjunction with the start of the 2018 outdoor sports season.
- I continue to serve as Council representative on the Memorial Park Leisure Centre building expansion steering committee. This project will more than double the size of this community building and meet the needs of the ever-growing population of Whitchurch-Stouffville. The target opening date is March 2018. Along with a significant expansion of the Public Library, a gymnasium will be included to provide an indoor home for a number of the sporting leagues.
- I have been able to have included in the 2018 budget enough funds to build a number of out-door pickleball courts. These will be located at the wonderful, fully operational Bethesda Park. The grand opening is scheduled for summer 2018.
It is also that time of year where we take a break from our daily routine and spend valuable time with family and friends and perhaps make plans for the year ahead.
As many of you are aware, a Municipal election will be held in October 2018. As your current representative on town council, people have been asking if I will be seeking re-election. Jane and I have had many discussions on the issue and we always come back to the same conclusion. Yes. There are a few months before nomination papers must be filed but I am pleased to share this news with you.
Jane and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and may 2018 be healthy and prosperous.